Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Birthday pub crawl map sketches

My good friend had his birthday earlier this year and wanted a pub crawl themed party. Since I just recently saw The World's End, we decided to do our own "Golden Mile" in East Atlanta Village where he lives. Unfortunately, it came out to be about a half mile and the crawl made more of a Y path rather than an interesting winding path. Below are the pub sign sketches I created for each stop. 


First stop, Argosy:
The name of this pub is based on a merchant ship and even has a painting of one inside.

Second stop, The Elder Tree:
\
This is an actual British styled pub so the sign wasn't too difficult to design.

Third stop, The Earl:
Thought it would be fun to take the acronym of the EARL (East Atlanta Restaurant and Lounge) and make it regal considering it's a straight up dive bar. Based the design on a painting of John Fleming, VI Earl of Wigton. 

Fourth stop, Flatiron:
Not sure how this place was named but I made the sign based on an actual flat iron.

Fifth stop, The Midway Pub:
I intentionally made the half-way stop this pub. The sign is obviously a half finished pint.

Sixth stop, The 529 Bar:
This one was a bit easy as they have a coat of arms as their logo and I based the sign on that.

Seventh stop, Mary's:
Cleverly named gay bar in EAV. So, I used the Victorian styled pub sign for this one.

Eighth stop, The Glenwood:
Named after the road it sits on, the design of this sign is based on what Glenwood literally means: a wooded glen (valley). 

Ninth and final stop, The Graveyard Tavern:
Much like the Midway Pub, I intentionally made this the last stop because of the name. I has several ideas but I eventually went with  the winged skull motif from late 17th Century to early 18th Century gravestones.








No comments:

Post a Comment